Around the System :  JetPiedmont.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Discussion of Events of Interest 
I MISS PIEDMONT AIRLINES!!!
Posted by: Roger Dubose (---.245.238.47.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2002 04:30AM

Hello,

Not that this really matters, cept to me, but I have to get this off my chest.

I grew up in Roanoke, Va., for the most part, from my date of birth in 1959 until the horrible day of the buy out, and beyond, Piedmont Airlines was the airline, and pretty much the ONLY airline, with service to and from Roanoke, Va. Yes, I know the drill, Eastern, American, were there too, bla, bla, bla, but Piedmont was ALWAYS there, ALWAYS. Piedmont was so much, "There", it was a joke among former Piedmont customers, like myself, (no I am not an employee), with regard to the aircraft and the flights.

Piedmont was the brunt of many innuendoes, jokes, and lighthearted insults, amongst myself and collegues, coworkers, friends. Then that day came and Piedmont was no more. How little we "customers" knew then, what we know now. I am the first to say, there is a lot of reality to the saying, "You don't know what you had, until it is gone." It is my most humble opinion now, that the day Piedmont flew its last flight, was but one of the darkest days in Aviation History.

All jokes and ribbing aside, Piedmont always took care of me in my travels, like family. Even when things would get screwed up, and they did, Piedmont more than made it right, without question, period.

Since Piedmonts departure, nary an airline exists with the standards of service, excellence, and commitment of Piedmont. My last flight on a commercial airline was in May of 2000, when I moved my mother from a nursing home in Virginia to live with me here in my home in Texas. It was her first flight on a jet, the airline, American, the plane an MD-80, filled to capicity, talk about feeling like a cow in a cattlecar! To add inslt to injury, the flight from Raleigh, N.C. to Dallas was supposed to be about 2.5 hours. Due to weather, not the fault of the airline, it took allmost 6 hours in the air, after sitting at the end of the runway in Raleigh for a hour due to a ground stop in Dallas! I would not wish on my worst enimy spending 7 hours in coach, 3 abrest seating, every seat full, and I am not fat! Piedmonts coach seats were much larger, and most of the time, the center row of seats were empty, on all the flights, I flew on, more than an hour in duration.

That American flight occoured, after, my flight to Dallas in November 1999, on UsAir. I call them, Your A_ _ Air. They are far worse than American, hopefully for the sake of the traveling public they will go bankrupt. UsAir is nothing more than a fart with wings and a very nasty attitude! That flight was on a 737-400, packed, with even smaller seats in coach. Thank God I did not have to sit on that plane for 7 hours! It was so horrible I never used the return ticket. I rented a car in Dallas, and drove the 1,200 miles back to Virginia! I am serious, it was that bad, no kidding!

In closing, I figured that you former Piedmont people need to know that you are very much missed, along with your airline, if I had the money I would hire you all back in a heart beat and we would teach them all a long overdue lesson, most of all, THANK YOU FOR LOOKING AFTER ME WHEN I FLEW WITH YOU, IN A MANNER THAT HAS NEVER BEEN EQUALED!

HUGS, AND BEST WISHES!

Roger

P.S. They drive like idiots in Dallas, but I would rather drive than fly on anything but Piedmont. Oh, and I love the website, lets me, "Remember when".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I MISS PIEDMONT AIRLINES!!!
Posted by: Steve Lyons (---.chartertn.net)
Date: November 25, 2002 01:56AM

So do we!
I sure hope I am wrong, but it doesn't appear that there will ever be another airline or another company for that matter like Piedmont Airlines!
She was our Family and Friend Airline.
If you loved Piedmont as much as you say, you will really get alot out of this site. There are loads and loads of stories, legends to hear of.
Behind the scenes was even better than from the customer view.
Stay tuned and thanks for visiting our site.
Thanks to Barry Smith for having the foresight to create this internet web site and keep the Soul of Piedmont alive!

Posted by: pjet580 (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 08, 2003 10:44PM

I, too, miss Piedmont. Even though now I work for Southwest Airlines there will always be a place inside reserved only for PI. I remember as a youth going out to the old Newport News airport and walking out to the outside observation deck and seeing those howling YS-11s taxiing in and out and wondering to myself (even as a 6-year-old) "When will Piedmont ever get jet airplanes?" Later my great-grandmother bought my sister and I tickets to go to Daytona Beach for spring break and my return was EA to ATL on a 727-100 and then to PHF on one of those howling YS-11s with intermediate stops in Augusta, Florence, and New Bern. At the time I didn't appreciate the ride but now look fondly upon it as a once-in-a-lifetime experience. PI was the only airline that "got it right" and even though I am a staunch supporter of my current employer I still feel that PI actually had the right attitude to get the job done.

Posted by: Bill Owens (---.carolina.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2004 11:23PM

As a former Piedmont employee who retired from USAir, I pray they don't go under. My so-called pension is okay (maybe), but I need the insurance

Bill

Posted by: RandyInMCO (---.nathansongroup.com)
Date: September 25, 2007 07:34PM

Roger,

I couldn't agree with you more. I too, miss Piedmont. During my early 20s I took classes to work as a travel agent, but instead applied for and was hired by Piedmont to work part-time in their Orlando (Lake Buena Vista) Reservations Office. It was always a dream of mine to work for an airline, and I was living my dream. I was the only new-hire in training class who continually scored 100% on tests. I loved Piedmont. I had a great group of co-workers! The job was certainly very challenging at times, especially during hurricane season when flights were cancelled. My supervisors always knew they could count on me to help redirect passengers and I was often given that task. It was so gratifying to be able to help those in need. During my employment with Piedmont, service was expanded from CLT to London. It was quite a wonderful time then! I miss working for Piedmont and was saddened to see them go.

Randy Portwood

Posted by: pi4510 (63.88.124.---)
Date: September 26, 2007 12:16PM

I could not have said it better myself. PI had the greatest collection of dedicated employees in the entire industry. Good work ethics and always kept the best interest of the CUSTOMER at heart, something that seems to have vanished in the last few years. I don't see it returning in the near future either.

Thanks to Roger Dubose for those comments.
Bob

Posted by: mtnmanpi (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 30, 2007 02:33PM

Hello Roger,

Your message was well spoken. Most all of us miss "THE GREATEST AIRLINE THAT EVER EXISTED"

Don Stevens

Posted by: TLLitchard (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 22, 2007 04:20PM

Roger,

It was a pleasure to see your generous comments about Piedmont; they are an authentic reminder that the airline we had really did exist, and that there are real people out there who remember. There have been moments when I wondered.

It is tempting to say that we were collectively waylaid, rolled, mugged in an alley, because that is how many of us feel about Black Thursday. But the truth is, we could have and should have done a better job keeping a handle on the changing corporate leadership. How, I'm not entirely sure. But we should never have let that crowd sell us out.

Your letter reminds me that the thing that made Piedmont Airlines great was the contract of trust and integrity that mutually connected the employees, management and the public. If you look, you can see some of those same elements surviving even today.

There are a few comapnies left who have what we had. Very few, but as long as these standards of excellence survive, we ought to support them, as our customers supported us.

Maybe one day Wall Street will figure out that this unique brand of dedication and corporate integrity cannot be bottled and imported from China.

Posted by: stevelyons (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: December 06, 2007 12:32AM

I was plesantly surprised in 2005 to see America West purchase USAirways.
They were clearly up for sale after years of bankruptcy, as everyone could clearly read about in the news frequently.
The question was, who was going to buy them?
I was also happy to see the way Doug Parker had the foresight and humility and good business sense to know that it was not so much what he chose to name the airline has as it is the quality of service and the HERITAGE.
It appeared that Piedmont was rising from the ashes as were three other liveries.
I would have liked to have seen more Piedmont aircraft of course, but the good gesture was nice.
During the past two years, as I read online stories about what was going on, I saw that the USAir we knew is no more.
They were saddened to see their headquarters closed in DC just as we were in the late 1980s.
What goes around comes around, so that much of it helps to mend the heart a bit.
Today's USAirways is only USAir in name only.
It's no longer around folks!
We can only hope that the Piedmont way will live on within the hearts of those who still work for Today's USAirways, the way it still lives on in all our hearts!

Long Live Piedmont and the speedbird!
Long fly the Pacemaker!

Steve

Posted by: chenjinyan11 (31.6.50.---)
Date: August 14, 2018 07:13AM

cc20180815
[www.airmax2019.us.com]
[www.adidascampusshoes.us]
[www.timberlandboots.in.net]
[www.jordanshoesforsale.us.com]
[www.uggsoutletofficials.us.com]
[www.michaelkorsoutlets.us.com]
[www.oksunglasses.com.co]
[www.nikezoom.us]
[www.cheapraybans.com.co]
[www.raybanssunglassesoutlet.us.com]
[www.katespadehandbags.in.net]
[www.cristianoronaldojerseys.com]
[www.jordanshoes.in.net]
[www.columbiashoesoutlet.us.com]
[www.moncler-outlet.us.org]
[www.longchampoutletonline.in.net]
[www.coach-factoryoutletsonline.us.com]
[www.coach-outletonline.eu.com]
[www.okaleysunglasseses.us.com]
[www.michaelkors-outlet.in.net]
[www.pittsburghpiratesjerseys.us]
[www.timberlandboots.name]
[www.coachfactory-outlet.in.net]
[www.nike-airpresto.com]
[www.jimmychoo-outlet.us.com]
[www.fredperrypoloshirts.in.net]
[www.baltimoreoriolesjerseys.us]
[www.fitflops-saleclearance.us.org]
[www.cheapjordans-shoes.us.com]
[www.asicsshoes-outlet.us.com]
[www.seattlemarinersjerseys.us]
[www.coachfactoryoutlet-stores.us.com]
[www.pandorastore.us.com]
[www.airmax-97.us]
[www.adidasyeezyshoes.us.com]
[www.michaelkors-outlet.com.co]
[www.moncleroutlet.me.uk]
[www.mulberryoutletuk.me.uk]
[www.coachfactoryoutlet-storeonline.us.com]
[www.cheapoakleysunglasses.com.co]
[www.jewelleryscharm.com]
[www.birkenstockoutlets.us.org]
[www.pandorajewelrypandora.us.com]
[www.moncleroutlets.us.org]
[www.fitflopssale.us.com]
[www.michaelkorsoutletstore.in.net]
[www.coach-factoryoutletstore.us.com]
[www.chicagowhitesoxjersey.us]
[www.hermesbirkin.in.net]
[www.hermesbag.us.com]
[www.kate-spade.us.com]
[www.nike-airfoamposite.com]
[www.airmax90.org]
[www.outletlouisvuitton.us.com]
[www.uggshoes.com.co]
[www.adidasyeezyboost-350.us.com]
cc20180815
vcbsdadwe

Re: Adidas superstar outlet
Posted by: dongdong8 (---.hostname.localhost)
Date: October 26, 2018 02:33AM

[www.fitflopss.us.com]
[www.cheapnfljerseys.in.net]
[www.mbtscarpe.it]
[www.rayban.in.net]
[www.uggfactoryoutletstore.us.com]
[www.uggsaustralia.in.net]
[www.katespadestoreoutlet.us.com] sf53535
[www.toryburchhandbags.us.org]
[www.maillotdefootfrance.fr]
[www.viscontipens.us.com]
[www.soccerjersey.eu]
[www.taghuer.us.com]
[www.adidasnmdoutlet.us.com]
[www.truereligion-jeans.us]
[www.airmaxplus.org]
[www.nikeoutletus.us.com]
[www.coachhandbagsfactoryoutletonline.us.com]
[www.uggbootsshop.com]
[www.weddingshoes.us.com]
[www.ferragamooutlet.us.com]
[www.oakley-vaultsunglasses.us.com]
[www.nikestores.us]
[www.outletuggs.ca]
[www.lebron15.us.org]
[www.nikeairmax.us.org]
[www.montblancfountainpens.us.com]
[www.uggclearance.us.com]
[www.northfaceoutletstore.us.org]
[www.longchamphandbagstotes.us.com]
[www.uggbootsaustralia.ca]
[www.mcm-outlets.us.com]
[www.pelikanpens.us.com]
[www.x-largeclothing.com]
[www.coachoutletstoreonlineofficial.us.com]
[www.vansshoesoutlet.us.com]
[www.louboutins.me.uk]
[www.giuseppe-zanotti.us.com]
[www.lebron14.org]
[www.airmax2018.in.net]
[www.michaelkorsoutlet.us]
[www.christianlouboutinoff.us]
[www.supremeclothing.me.uk]
[www.wwwnorthface.us.com]
[www.replicawatches.in.net]
[www.hardenvol1.us.com]
[www.jerseys.us.org]
[www.jacketscanadagoose.com.co]
[www.nikesshoes.us.com]
[www.jordanretro.us]
[www.sophiawebstershoes.us]
[www.ralphlaurens.fr]
[www.versaceclothing.com]
[www.uggsales.us.com]
[www.vans.us.org]
[www.saleuggoutlet.us.com]
[www.longchampoutlet-online.com]
[www.canadagooseoutletstore.org]
[www.air-jordan.us.com]
[www.adidasoriginalsstansmith.us.com]
[www.cheapjerseys.in.net]
[www.omegawatches.us.org]
[www.truereligionoutletjeans.us]
[www.mauijimsunglasses.us.com]
[www.adidasoutletadidas.us.com]
[www.snapbackcapshats.net]
[www.uggsonsales.us.com]
[www.wholesaleoakleysunglasses.us.org]
[www.nikecortez.net]
[www.cheapbestnbajerseys.us.com]
[www.northfacejacket.us.com]
[www.suicoke.us.com]
[www.balenciagasandals.us.com]
[www.oakleysunglassescom.us.com]
[www.timberlandboots.us]
[www.salvatoreferragamo.in.net]
[www.airforce1.in.net]
[www.balenciagashop.us.com]
[oakley.sunglassesoutlet.us]
[www.womensuggboots.us.com]
[www.michaelkorshandbagsmacys.us.com]
[www.adidasshoess.us.com]
[www.columbiaoutlet.us.org]
[www.sunglassesoakleycheap.us.com]
[www.burberryoutlet.com.co]
[www.ray-ban.me.uk]
[www.undefeated.us.com]
[www.jordanxx9.in.net]
[www.trikotsg]√ľnstig.de
[www.nikefree-run.fr]
[www.uggforkids.us.com]
[www.converseshoesoutlet.us.com]
[www.uggboots.mex.com]
[www.pumafentysandals.us.com]
[www.oakleysunglassescanada.ca]
201810.26wengdongdong

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.