Great Piedmont Stories :  JetPiedmont.com The fastest message board... ever.
Open Forum for Sharing Your Stories Relating to Piedmont Airlines 
Flight information and stories requested
Posted by: andrew_broadfoot (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2011 09:08AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2011 07:20PM by andrew_broadfoot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flight information and stories requested
Posted by: andrew_broadfoot (205.196.185.---)
Date: November 21, 2011 11:36PM

Posted by: andrew_broadfoot (205.196.185.---)
Date: December 22, 2011 12:27AM

Posted by: K_Edgar (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 02:59AM

Stumbled onto this site after reading Flight of the Pacemaker. Piedmont Airlines was a part of my childhood as we visited family in TX every Easter. I particularly enjoyed flying in the YS-11s that flew out of HKY - they were nice-looking planes and, to a kid, sounded like the old prop planes that flew their occupants to high adventure. I always tried to get a window seat as close to the engines as possible and I don't recall the flight attendants ever having a problem accomodating my requests.
We boarded a YS-11 in ATL to return to HKY one year and a middle-aged woman was seated beside me; as usual, I was at the window, next to the starboard prop. I must confess it was obvious that she was terrified of flying and received no sympathy from me, especially after she made me close the shade. We encountered some turbulence flying toward AVL (the flight crew referred to them as "air pockets"); the woman gave out a cry of discomfort with nearly every one we hit and finally persuaded me to call the flight attendant for her. She was given two airline bottles of whiskey to calm her nerves and placed them in her purse rather than consume them. She deplaned in AVL, much to her (and my) relief. The shade came back up and I enjoyed the rest of the flight. I hope I never came across to any of the crew as a demon kid like I must have been to that woman. Thanks for reviving some fond childhood memories.

P.S. I still have my wings...

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.