Great Piedmont Stories :  JetPiedmont.com The fastest message board... ever.
Open Forum for Sharing Your Stories Relating to Piedmont Airlines 
Wallace Kerr - Baxter Slaughter
Posted by: Don Shanks (---.triad.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2004 09:47PM

The following story comes from Verne Crisp - thought everyone would enjoy it! Verne's comments were in response to a posting by Ronnie Macklin.

The picture of the old MRH terminal brings back great memories. Wallace (Big Sid) Kerr was manager down there during the summer months when it was open. He worked in RDU during the winter. Casey and Ezra Cook also worked MRH at times and would switch over to SOP ... Southern Pines ... in the winter for the golf season. They later alternated between SOP and MYR which was served from two different airports at different times, one municipal and at times the Air Force field.

Walllace got the name "Big Sid" by trying to ride a bull named Big Sid at the Durham County Fair back in the late fifties - stay on so many seconds and win one hundred dollars. Wallace didn t win.

Baxter Slaughter flew 392 in 395 out. It was turn-a-round afternoon trip at MRH. He would intentionally not call in range and try to get to the ramp before Wallace was aware he was there. Since he often ran more than 15 minutes early, he was successful often. Wallace moved two 60 gallon drums to the ramp and hid behind them. Slaughter thought he had slipped up on him again when Wallace jumped out from behind the barrels and gave him a snappy "CUT TWO" signal. Slaughter would BS the military controllers at Cherry Point and they would often clear him thru the restricted military air space. This would allow him to fly the segment in less time than the flight plan called for. What a wonderful time to work for the airline!!!

Thanks for the memories. I enjoy your pictures very much.
Verne Crisp

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wallace Kerr - Baxter Slaughter
Posted by: 54977 (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2010 06:59PM

You mention Cherry Point. I worked at the Beafort, N.C. airport for ex-Marine enlisted pilot, Maj. Dick Rodd, then a "fish spotter" in his Citobra. 99'r pilot wife June Rodd had worked in Hollywood painting Mary Martin's flying strings out of the film. She dated and was to marry English star Leslie Howard. She came to work one morning and the girls showed June the frontpage news: Leslie had eloped with some starlette. I told June that U.S. intelligence knew his WWII tour aircraft was to be shot-down by the enemy but could not stop it, less it reveal it's sources. June shed not a tear. Then I worked for senior United 737 pilot Cregg Willis there.

I was told Piedmont once had seasonal flights to that airport when there was a greyhound race track at Beaufort. I think Southern Pines was PI's other "season only" airport? Can anyone elaborate on PI's time at the Beafort airport, if true? Who were the agents there, if any?

This is before cell phones, security fences, etc. Alone I did everything but keep the books: I refueled from a gas station style pump, cut all the airport grass (whew, the snakes; it was once a potatoe field), etc. A chauffeured Cadilac for three hours sat near to the tiny terminal and ramp, the chaufeuree in it too. Finally, mad, he came inside.

"Mind if I use the payphone (olden times, then)?" "Heads are going to roll!" I thought perhaps I'd done something wrong, and needed to call the boss. "Did I do something wrong?" "No, my executive aircraft pilot was supposed to land here at "Bew-ford" (Beaufort) three hours ago." Me: "Well maybe he did?" He: "He hasn't, I've been sitting watching that ramp for three hours; heads-are-going-to-roll". Me: "Sir, I mean he may have already landed at Bew-fort, this is Bow-fort (Beaufort)". He: "Bew-fort, Bowfort, what's the difference!" Me: "About 300 miles!" Funny look on the guys now more perplexed than angry, face. "Let me call the Bew-fort airport". I gave Bew-fort the tail number; "Yeh, he arrived here three hours ago, the pilot's paceing, looking for some big-shot". I said put him on the wire, and called Mr. Heads-will-roll Big-shot.

On the payphone:"WHERE AM I? In Bew-fort...I mean, Bow-fort". Typical management: he didn't "roll" his own head.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.