Obituaries :  JetPiedmont.com The fastest message board... ever.
Memorials to Departed Pacemakers 
Eddie Jones
Posted by: Don Shanks (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2005 12:53AM

The following very sad news comes from Bob Reed and Wilma Cook. When additional information is available we will let you know.

Don Shanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is with deepest regrets that I find it necessary to inform you of the death of a good friend and former colleague, Edward E. Jones. Wilma called to let me know that Eddie had been in the hospital again recently and died from an aneurysm this afternoon at approximately 5:00 PM. Arrangements are, of course, pending at this time; however, Wilma believes that funeral will be in Princeton, WV on Thursday. When we know more, either Don Shanks or I will let you know.

Bob Reed
RobtHReed@aol.com
118 Church Steeple Drive
Advance, NC 27006
Tel: 336-940-5046
Cell: 336-416-3013

PIEDMONT AVIATION HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Robert H. Reed, Curator
2150 Country Club Road, Suite 235
Winston-Salem, NC 27105
Tel: 336-747-0828

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eddie Jones
Posted by: Bob Strang (---.metrocast.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 12:58AM

What a loss!! I remember working in ORH back in the 80's when Eddie was our regional director. I had a lot of respect for him because he told it like it was. He didn't play games. He knew everyone by name and never forgot a face. I saw him again in '92 when he flew through CLT and I was working at the gate. He remembered me from ORH.

He was a great person- we will miss him.

Date: October 20, 2005 12:58AM

The funeral arrangements for Eddie Jones are as follows:

Family Visitation: Thursday 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Funeral Service: Friday at 11:00 am

Both will be at Seaver Funeral Home
1507 North Walker Street
Princeton, W. Va. 24740
Telephone: (304) 425-2282

Gloria's Mailing Address:
1101 Park Avenue
Princeton, W. Va. 24740

Several persons from the INT area are going up on Thursday, Oct 20 and staying at the Hampton Inn Princeton - about 3 miles from the funeral home. The telephone number is (304)431-2580 and the AARP rate for two persons is about $83 plus taxes.

Posted by: David Sing (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 10:29PM

I was saddened to hear of Eddie's passing. I met Eddie in 1973 when Piedmont opened the Newark Station. Little did I know at that time that we would begin a friendship that would last over the next 32 years.

Eddie, became my mentor with Piedmont and was a driving force that helped push me through the difficult times and on through the merger of Piedmont with USAir. I felt my soul drop when he retired from Piedmont, but again the friendship continued while I was at USAir and up to when I retired, his thoughts and advise was always there.

My children referred to Eddie as their Uncle Eddie and he was there for my oldest daughter when she was at Virginia Tech when he lived in Roanoke. As she put it she had a second Dad. All I can say is we will miss him but he will always be in our thoughts.

I was happy when Eddie finally married. Gloria is a fine woman and wife and it was great that after all those years they finally got together. She and Eddie were inseparable, going and doing everything together. It was true love. Our sympathy goes out to her in this sadden time. She will be in our thoughts and prayers.

I will miss him.

David Sing

Posted by: Chuck Hathaway (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2005 11:26PM

I am so sad to hear the news about Mr. Jones. I will never forget the day he call me to tell me he was going to HNL. I express how happy I was that he was enjoying retirement and life in general. He then said aren't you going to ask me why I am going to HNL. I then asked why are you going and he told me that he had gotten married and going on his honeymoon. I was about as shocked as I have ever been. Sorry I never got a chance to meet Gloria, my heart is filled for you at this time.
Another quick story and believe me I have many that will last for ever. I was the Station Manager in Buffalo (1985). Ed comes up and we go to a hotel for a travel agency function. We walk into the hugh conference room and go from booth to booth introducing ourselves and about being new (Piedmont) to Buffalo. Later, we are standing over by the refreshments where at least 30 to 40 people came past us and Ed was able to remember each of their names. Having met at least 100 people within the last two hours and being able to remember 30 or 40 of them was just unbelieveable. He kept saying to me, is that Carol or Linda, etc. etc. and I was no help. Then when she got infront of us he called them by their correct name each time. In closing let me say that I have never known a better person in my entire life. I have witness many people who have had the title, Regional Manager/Director, but I have only known one!

Date: October 22, 2005 01:55AM

Eddie's Obituary:

PRINCETON, W.Va. - Edward Earl Jones, 72, of 1101 Park Ave., Princeton, died Monday, Oct. 17, 2005, at Princeton Community Hospital. Born Jan. 29, 1933, in McComas, he was the son of the late Edward and Ida B. Jones. He retired after 35 years of service with Piedmont Airlines and US Airways. In 1954, he was employed by Piedmont Airlines in Norfolk, Va. He then transferred to Richmond, Va., before moving to Bluefield to serve as manager of Piedmont Airlines. In 1966, he worked in Charleston for nine months before being promoted to LaGuardia Airport in New York, where he opened Piedmont Operations at LaGuardia, Newark and Kennedy airports. After 14 years in New York, he served as regional director of Airports for Piedmont at their home office in Winston-Salem, N.C., before retiring to Princeton in March 1989. Ed was a 1950 graduate of McComas High School and a graduate of West Virginia Business College in Bluefield. He was a member of Kee Street United Methodist Church. He was a member of Princeton Rotary Club, Princeton Moose Lodge 1591, Princeton Elks Lodge 1459 and Princeton Jaycees. Survivors include his wife, Gloria Sue Farmer Jones, of Princeton; aunt Mae Simpkins of Princeton; and several cousins in the U.S. and Wales, United Kingdom. Funeral services will be conducted at 11 a.m. Friday, Oct. 21, at George W. Seaver Chapel of Seaver Funeral Home in Princeton, with the Rev. Greg Godwin officiating. Burial will follow in Roselawn Memorial Gardens in Princeton. Family and friends will serve as pallbearers. Friends may call from 6 to 8 p.m. today, Oct. 20, at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Kee Street United Methodist Church, 311 Kee St., Princeton, WV 24740; the American Red Cross, 210 Bland St., Bluefield, WV 24701; the Salvation Army, 300 Princeton Ave., Princeton, WV 24740; or to a charity of the donor's choice.

Published in the Winston-Salem Journal on 10/20/2005.

Robert H. Reed, Curator
PIEDMONT AVIATION HISTORICAL SOCIETY
PiedmontHistory@aol.com or RobtHReed@aol.com
2150 Country Club Road, Suite 235
Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Posted by: Wayne Hammer (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2005 02:20AM

I had the privilege to work with Ed Jones during 1977-1979, when he served as station manager at LaGuardia Airport. During that time, Piedmont flights at LaGuardia were handled contractually by Eastern Air Lines, so the Piedmont staff consisted of Ed, a secretary, a small group of mechanics and two customer service agents (I was one). Mr. Jones was a gentleman and a true professional, who was admired and respected by everyone at the station. After leaving Piedmont, I continued in the airline industry for over 25 years and I know that many of my successes were the result of watching and learning from Ed Jones. I know his passing has saddened many people.

Posted by: Pam Horton (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 16, 2005 08:03PM

I always liked Eddie and I am so sorry to hear of his passing.

I remember working a trip into LGA one night. It had been a bad day. Weather all over the place and a mechanical on top of it.

By the time we arrived at LGA we were out of a lot of stuff including liquor. Now you have to understand that no one but Piedmont employees ever handled Piedmont liquor supplies.

The LGA station always had a large number of spare kits, but they had already been sent on other flights when we got there. I asked Eddie if there was any way for him to get me some liquor. He got me a supply of hard liquor in the form of minis from Eastern. He got me red and white wine from a bar in the airport. They were full size bottles. He had them open the bottles and stick the corks part way back in. We just put the bottles of red and white wine on the cart and poured someone a glass of which ever one he wanted -- we were comping the stuff anyway.

I knew I could always depend on Eddie to get me anything I needed to take care of our passengers. After all, the most important thing was protecting the revenue in the seats.

Posted by: Ottlane (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 03:54PM

I just came across this post about Ed Jones...I worked with Ed at LGA...he was a true gentleman...at the time, Ed flew to work everyday...he would always tell me how he could get to work faster than me! RIP Ed...you were an inspiration....
Karl Lonieski

Posted by: Ottlane (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 18, 2012 03:54PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.