Crew Lounge :  JetPiedmont.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Discussion for Pilots/Flight Attendants 
Looking for some one
Posted by: Carol Dobyns Fair (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: November 27, 2005 03:04AM

Hay gang I've been here 42 years and I'm looking for a young girl, from Tenn who
interviewed me for a school paper on flying. I being the Stewardess and her being the student. I don't remember her name, but she later became a Piedmont Stewardess. Years later she came up to me in a Piedmont uniform and asked me if I remembereb her interviewing me. I never got her name. I want to find her please help me. I was based in TYS at the time around 1965-1966 when I was interviewed by the young girl. Please help...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for some one
Posted by: donshanks (Moderator)
Date: November 29, 2005 01:47AM

Carol, any luck on your search yet?

Posted by: sandra dinkins vestal (208.63.114.---)
Date: February 26, 2006 07:18AM

Would like to know why Capt Carl Martin's name was left out of the obit. list. He died I think in 1998 and I attended his funeral at Hayworth Miller. He was divorced after retiring from Piedmont and was reunited with his high school sweetheart, my mother, Margaret Goodman Dinkins. They dated until his death but because of differences between his family and my Mother were never married but continued to love each other until he passed away. My Mother grieved herself to death and within 18 months of Carls death she passed away also. They had not seen each other in over 30 years when one Sat. morn. she and I stopped at Krispy Kreme for a doughnut and coffee and ended up sitting beside Carl at the counter, from that day until he died they never stopped loving each other and went every where together. She often went with him on flights when he piloted the DC-3 to air shows. They are now buried beside each other both in their Piedmont uniforms, him in his full uniform and she in a uniform jacket he gave to her at the Mauseleum on Peters Creek Parkway.
We have remained very close friends to his grandson Skip Martin of Reynolds Park Rd. I wish someone would enclose somewhere this information in your archives because I think this is a true love story someone else might like to read about. Captain Baxter was one of their closest friends even when he was in such bad health. No one would have ever thought that both Carl and my Mother would precede him in death because of his health, but as every one knows you just never know. But my Mom's family, all three of us her children were so happy for the years they enjoyed together and are so thankful that the two of them were so happy together in their remaining lives back together.

Posted by: sandra dinkins vestal (208.63.114.---)
Date: February 26, 2006 07:35AM

Re. message about Capt Carl Martin would like for anyone to please contact me if you can. Would very much like to converse with anyone who knew Carl and my Mother. Thank you very much. Would also love to get brochure about the book or even a copy of the book, because Carl had a lot of pictures of him piloting the DC-3 one was taken of the plane in flight as Carl was piloting the DC-3. He was extremely proud of this one and both he and my Mother had framed prints of this photo in both their homes on their den walls. Thank you again. Sandra Dinkins Vestal

Posted by: andyray (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2006 01:36PM

Sandra - Thank you for the touching post about Captain Martin and your mother. I am sorry that I cannot help you with any personal information about either of them, but I can help you get a copy of "PIEDMONT: Flight of the Pacemaker" that has just been released. It is loaded with photos, and there is certainly a good chance you’ll find a photo of Capt Martin.

To obtain a copy, go to the Piedmont Aviation Historical Society (PAHS) section of JETPIEDMONT.COM at [www.jetpiedmont.com] and print an order form. Alternatively, there are plans to have another book signing next Sunday, March 5th, at Smith-Reynolds Airport in Winston Salem. We will post the times here on the website.

I have seen the book and it is truly exceptional. I do not remember Captain Martin personally, but I was a volunteer crew member for several airshow seasons when the restored DC-3 started flying out of Winston Salem. It is very possible he flew one or more of those trips that I had the privilege of working. It was always fun, we were always proud to show this wonderful airplane, and we were always warmly received by the public.

Good luck in finding more information about Capt Martin. I would urge you to thoroughly explore the JETPIEDMONT website [www.jetpiedmont.com] and log on regularly. Hope to see you on the 5th!

Andy Ray
Forum Moderator

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2006 01:40PM by andyray.

Posted by: andyray (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2006 12:42AM

Sandra - Another book signing is scheduled for Sunday, March 5th, 2006 from 1:00pm-5:00pm in the main terminal lobby of the Winston Salem airport.

This would be a great time to get your copy of "PIEDMONT: Flight of the Pacemaker" and perhaps meet someone who would have know Capt Martin.

Hope to see you on Sunday. Please introduce yourself to me if you can attend.

Andy Ray
Forum Moderator

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2006 12:46AM by andyray.

Re: Looking for some one/Carl Martin
Posted by: Don Conner (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 02:26PM

Sandra, thanks for a wonderful story about Carl Martin and your mother. Carl was a F/O in Roanoke, VA, when I began my career as an Operations agent there. He was one of the most helpful crewmen I had the opportunity to be associated with, and he helped me tremendously in understanding my job from a flight crew's perspective. Later in my career, after transferring to Nashville, Carl, as a captain, often flew trip through my station and our friendship continued. He and his (then) wife came to Nashville one year to attend the Grand Ole Opry and my wife and I toured them around the area and went to the Opry with them. That was in the days when people lined up three abreast all the way around the block, waiting for the doors to open. While it line it began to rain. Fortunately we had expected it and had taken umbrellas, however, all those who had no cover still remained in line, got soaking wet, and we wound up getting seats beside people who were soaked to the skin. Carl never complained at all, but his wife did not take it very well. I never knew they divorced. I am glad that Carl and your mother found each other and had those wonderful times together. Carl was one of my favorite PI persons. I'm sure your mother was equally as wonderful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.