Aircraft Trivia :  JetPiedmont.com The fastest message board... ever.
Questions and Answers regarding Piedmont Aircraft 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
1973 FH227 Paint Scheme
Posted by: Chris Mullins ()
Date: June 22, 2005 07:02PM

Hi everyone,
I apologize if this subject has come up before, but I need to try and find out the registration of the only (I think) FH 227 that wore the 1973 paint scheme (the "new" Piedmont colors).

To my knowledge, there was only one of the FH227's painted in this color scheme....but I don't know what the "N" number of this bird was. There is a photo of a group of PI 227's stored at ROA after being withdrawn from use on AIRLINERS.net. And right smack in the middle of the 4 aircraft is the plane I'm talking about (with Piedmont titles removed). This aircraft did operate in service as a photo of the tail was caught sticking above the 1 story terminal building at Columbus, Ohio terminal and it clearly shows the modern PI bird and the word "PIEDMONT".

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1973 FH227 Paint Scheme
Posted by: Bob Merritt ()
Date: July 10, 2005 03:37PM

I think it was a/c 705, the Palmetto Pacemaker. As I recall, it was the first & the only a/c painted in this scheme for several weeks, maybe a month or more. It was apparently a test to see if this new paint job & logo received a positive response from the public & employees. This was in early 1974, as I recall. It was the only FH-227 ever painted in this scheme, as they were all retired within 12-18 months.

Posted by: Chip ()
Date: July 11, 2005 09:49PM

The very first Piedmont aircraft in the 70's livery I ever saw was a B-737 in March 1975 (yes, I DO remember this much)! I was driving down Shore Drive in Norfolk and the plane was taxiing to Rnwy. 23 at ORF. I didn't have the time to pull off the road and gawk at it, though I'd wished I did. Although I have to admit that I didn't like Piedmont's original livery prior to this (very outdated, in my opinion), this new look flabbergasted me. It was right then and there that I knew Piedmont had new growing pains, and they meant BUSINESS in going about it.

But now, even a plane clad in the old original Piedmont livery would be a welcome sight to see. I'm still angry with UseLessAir. I could never forgive them.

Posted by: james goodnight ()
Date: July 12, 2005 02:34AM

The aircraft you are tanking about is N706U you can find a pic of it by going to google and type in the tail number.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2005 05:26AM by barrys64.

Posted by: Jim Fleming ()
Date: July 20, 2005 05:42PM

[fh227.rwy34.com]
Link shows new paint job scheme and Air Iran Taxi with Piedmont cheat lines.
Hope this helps.
Jim

Posted by: Andy Ray ()
Date: August 05, 2005 12:49AM

Look at the "new" livery on the FH-227 in question at [fh227.rwy34.com]. It's remarkable how similar it looked to a Piedmont Dash-8 after we bought Henson, before we bacame USAir, before Hinson became Piedmont again. Wow. I miss the old days.

Posted by: Steve Lyons ()
Date: August 05, 2005 08:14PM

Your're right.......
Other than the fact that the blue paint does not come over the nose
like it did on Henson, it reminds me of the old Dash 7s on D con in CLT.
I worked D concourse from July 1986 thru Jan 1988 when I transferred up stairs to the C and B concourses on the gates.
The Dash 8s had two engines and the Dash 7s had four.
The Dash 7s were the absolute best ride on a prop.
I miss my every wednesday return trips from TRI - CLT.
I had the front seats all to myself and would prop my feet up in the ones facing me. The flight attendants were always really nice to me on this flight.
That flight holds very special memories to me because it waiting for it that one night me and my now wife became serious in our relationship.

You brought some good memories back Andy,

Steve

Date: August 28, 2005 06:44AM

Thanks for the information, everyone!!
I do appreciate it!

Chris

Posted by: Jim Fleming ()
Date: September 28, 2005 08:17PM

Building a model?

Date: September 30, 2005 07:26PM

Hi Jim,
No, I have several models of the PI FH227 in the original paint job. I have been telling people I know, that have a similar interest in airliners, that at least one of these birds got painted in the "new colors" before they were disposed of. I saw its tail sticking up on a news clip on -- of all things -- the Weather Channel. They all think I'm nuts. Since I'm in Kansas City (never a PI station - but lots of OZ FH227B action)... we are not quite up on all the details of the PI fleet.

Thanks to all of you good ex PI people...I can now show proof that at least 2 of these birds got "the treatment" N703U and N706U.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Chris Mullins

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.